Spanish medical card

The EU reciprocal agreement covers you for treatment in Spain until you get an official Medical Card (Tarjeta de SS) from your local Social Security Office (INSS – Oficina del Instuto Nacional de Seguridad Social) in Spain. The office you require for the medical card is often to be found in clinics and some hospitals. If in doubt as to where to go for this you should ask at your doctor’s office.

Applying for the card is not a difficult procedure and you should receive it within a very short time. You will need to show the official your E111/E121 (if you are an EU citizen) and other relevant documents such as your residence card or passport. If you are not from an EU country and still wish to benefit from the Spanish public insurance scheme you should telephone or visit your Spanish consulate before leaving your home country to enquire as to what forms you may need to take with you.


Leave a Reply